In advance of the Advertising Week in NYC, The Nielsen Company prepared a fact sheet to provide a high-level snapshot of ad spend and effectiveness trends. Technology advancements coupled with increased competition and interconnectivity has led to a marketplace of savvy consumers who must be engaged at the right time, through the right platforms and with the right messaging. In order to successfully compete in this environment, and make sure each dollar is spent on valuable campaigns, marketers are searching for ways to
more accurately measure all aspects of their marketing performance.
Using industry-leading data, Nielsen’s Advertising Effectiveness solutions provide clients concrete analysis of what we believe are the most critical aspects of measuring a campaign’s success – the 4R’s:
REACH: Did the campaign reach the intended audience?
RECEPTIVITY: Did the media environment deliver engaged viewers?
RESONANCE: Did the campaign generate the desired brand effects?
REACTION: Did the campaign generate the desired behavioral effects?
IN-PROGRAM PLACEMENT EFFECTIVENESS
TOP 5 BRANDS: Brand Recall*
OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE on Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains: Contestants
win meals from restaurant as a challenge prize
CASTELLO DI AMOROSA WINERY on The Bachelor: On the Wings of
Love: Contestants go on a date at a winery
MR. POTATO HEAD on Modern Family: Luke uses a toy as part of a school
7 UP on The Amazing Race 16: Contestants win money and soft drinks as a
1-800-FLOWERS on Undercover Boss: CEO Chris McCann goes
undercover in his company
*The Brand Recall Score ranks the percentage of TV viewers who can recall within 24 hours the brand/product of In-Program Placement during the normal course of viewing TV. Data based on the time period 1/1/10 – 8/28/10.
CHARTS: NUMBER OF MAJOR PRODUCT PLACEMENTS PER YEAR
TOP 5 MOST ENGAGING ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAMS
1. Lost (ABC)
2. Chuck (NBC)
3. Romantically Challenged (ABC)
4. Scoundrels (ABC)
5. V (ABC)
1. Army Wives (LIFE)
2. Justified (FX)
3. Men of a Certain Age (TNT)
4. Covert Affairs (USA)
5. Saving Grace (TNT)
Program Engagement measures viewer attention to TV episode content. Includes regularly-airing primetime series with at least three telecasts. Data based on the time period 1/1/10 – 8/28/10 among persons 13+.
TV ADVERTISING TOP 5: BRAND RECALL*
1. DORITOS: Super Bowl: Man lays in casket full of snack chips (:30)
2. DORITOS: Super Bowl: Young boy slaps mother’s date (:30)
3. TIDE: Charity program contributes to disaster relief (:30)
4. DORITOS: Super Bowl: Dog takes off shock collar and puts in on man (:30)
5. BUDWEISER: Super Bowl: Clydesdale and calf race each other along fence (:60)
* The Brand Recall Score is the percentage of TV viewers who can recall within 24 hours the brand of an ad they were exposed to during the normal course of viewing TV. Data based on new ads launching in the time period 1/1/10 – 8/28/10.