96X's Allen McGee dies in fire


The Townsquare Media KKTX-FM (96X)/Tyler, TX afternoon driver died in a Christmas morning fire at home in nearby Kilgore while asleep in his home. The blaze erupted shortly after 8AM.

On Sunday night, McGee’s coworkers at 96X expressed their remorse at the death of the mid-day disc jockey: “Allen loved life and knew how to live it – to (its) fullest,” read a statement on the 96X Facebook page and Web site. “Allen was a good friend and one of the best on-air personalities we have ever had the opportunity to know. It’s not often that we, as radio people, are left speechless. Today we are. Nothing can put into words our shock and sadness at the loss of such a talent – and friend – especially on Christmas day. Our thoughts and prayers are (with) Allen’s family – especially his kids.”

No official cause has yet been determined, but officials say it appears to have been accidental. Preliminary findings indicate the man succumbed to smoke and heat from the “unintentional” fire.