With a repeat Last Man Standing, Cougar Town, DWTS Results Show and a surging Private Practice on its new night, ABC registered as Tuesday’s 2nd-most-watched TV network to CBS, increasing its lead week to week over NBC to 2.6 million viewers and Fox to 3.8 million viewers. In addition, ABC ranked #1 on the night in Adults 25-54.
* Despite starting off the night with a repeat, ABC was up over last week’s all-original schedule in viewers (+6%) and young adults (+5%).
* At 8pm, ABC’s replay Last Man Standing stood as Tuesday’s most-watched sit-com, pulling in 10% more viewers than Fox’s original New Girl in the 9pm half-hour.
* Topping its last encore by 8%, Last Man Standing generated the series’ 2nd-most-watched repeat in the half-hour.
* In the 8:30pm half-hour, ABC’s Cougar Town built on its lead-in by 15% in Adults 18-49, and although it aired coming out of a repeat, grew week to week in viewers (+11%) and young adults (+7%). In fact, the ABC comedy turned in its most-watched telecast this season.
* Leaping over its lead-in at 9pm to emerge as Tuesday’s most-watched TV program, ABC’s DWTS Results Show qualified as the top draw in its slot for the 5th week in a row, outdrawing its unscripted competition on NBC (Voice Results) by an increasing 5.5 million viewers (up from a 5.3 million viewer advantage the prior week). In addition, the wide-appealing ABC unscripted series finished #2 in the hour in both Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 for the 2nd week in a row. Empress of Soul Gladys Knight was the fifth celebrity to leave the dance competition this season.
* Hitting a 3-week high, ABC’s DWTS Results Show was up week to week in Adults 25-54 (+3%).
* In the 10 o’clock hour, ABC’s Private Practice posted a strong first-place finish with Total Viewers, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54. Retaining an impressive 92% of its Adult 18-49 lead-in, Private Practice scored season-best retention for ABC in the hour coming out of DWTS Results Show.
* Jumping over its week-ago premiere in the hour with Total Viewers (+29%), Adults 18-49 (+29%) and Adults 25-54 (+35%), ABC’s Private Practice produced its most-watched telecast in more than 1-1/2 years – since 11/4/10. In addition, the ABC drama posted its best results since February with key Adults (AD18-49/AD25-54) – since 2/16/12.