With its Halloween lineup, featuring ABC’s debut of Scared Shrekless (previously airing on NBC), Dancing and Castle, ABC registered as Monday’s most-watched TV network, outdrawing CBS all-original lineup by 2.6 million viewers (HIMYM/2 Broke Girls/Two and a Half Men/Mike & Molly/Hawaii Five-0), Fox originals by 7.4 million viewers (Terra Nova/House) and NBC’s first-run programming by 9.6 million viewers (The Sing Off/Rock Center with Brian Williams). In addition, ABC defeated Fox by 17% in Adults 18-49 and once again more than doubled NBC’s young adult performance on the evening (+125%).
* ABC stood as Monday’s #1 network with Total Viewers for the 7th straight week this season.
TV Usage Declines on Halloween: Versus the prior Monday, overall TV usage levels on Halloween evening declined by -8% in Adults 18-49 and by an even steeper -14% in Women 18-34.
Please Note: ABC was pre-empted in Kansas City (DMA #31 – accounting for less than 1% of US coverage) for local coverage of ESPN’s Monday Night Football game (Chargers-Chiefs), so the Fast Affiliate numbers are subject to change once the National ratings are issued this afternoon.
At 8pm, ABC’s premiere broadcast of Scared Shrekless drew substantially more viewers than the first half-hours of Fox’s original Terra Nova (+2.3 million) and NBC’s original The Sing Off (+3.4 million), while defeating the NBC singing competition by a margin of 21% in Adults 18-49. The animated Halloween special ranked #1 in its slot with Kids 2-11.
* Moving from NBC last year to ABC this year, Scared Shrekless was up over its most-recent rebroadcast on NBC by enormous margins in Total Viewers (+129%) and Adults 18-49 (+55%). In addition, the encore special rose over its original premiere telecast on NBC by 5% in Total Viewers.
Jumping over its lead-in and gaining steadily throughout its shortened broadcast (90-min vs. 2-hours), Dancing with the Stars made ABC the most-watched net in its time period for the 7th week in a row. ABC’s broad-appealing dance performance show, finished as the #2 broadcast slot in Adults 18-49, across all key Women and with Teens 12-17, while ranking #1 with Kids 2-11.
* ABC’s DWTS stood as Monday’s most-watched TV show overall for the 4th straight week.
For the 7th time in as many telecasts this season, ABC’s Castle finished as the most-watched scripted program during Monday’s 10 o’clock hour. In addition, the ABC drama ranked #1 against its CBS and NBC time-period competition among key Adults and Women. ABC’s Castle towered over NBC’s series debut of Rock Center with Brian Williams, more than tripling the newsmagazine in Total Viewers (+215%) and nearly tripling its delivery in Adults 18-49 (+190%).
* Castle qualified as Monday’s definitive most-watched drama, outdrawing CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 by a best-of-season 2.6 million viewers, Fox’s House by 6.4 million viewers and Fox’s Terra Nova by 6.5 million viewers.
* In viewers and young adults, Castle posted best-since-premiere numbers 6 weeks ago – since 9/19/11.
* ABC’s Castle was up over its year-ago telecast with viewers (+14%) and young adults (+7%), building its overall audience year to year for the 5th time in 7 weeks.