NEW YORK — Burger King, McCann New York and BBDO Worldwide came up big Wednesday night at the 60th annual Clio Awards, considered the top international awards competition for the creative business.
Burger King took the award as “Clio Advertiser of the Year,” while ad shop McCann New York scored “Clio Agency of the Year.” BBDO Worldwide accepted honors for “Clio Network of the Year.”
Held at the Manhattan Center, the Clio ceremony was kicked off by Anne del Castillo, commissioner of the New York City Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment, who proclaimed September 25, 2019 as “Clio Day” across the Five Boroughs.
Other highlights from the event included a performance by 2019 Clio “Music Lifetime Achievement Award” winner Joan Jett; an acceptance speech from Billie Eilish and her brother, Finneas O’Connell; and a tribute by Katie Couric to Sheryl Crow, the 2019 Clio “Music Impact Award” recipient.
Appearances included Brandon Moynihan, who plays Hotels.com’s “Captain Obvious;” Jonathan Goldsmith, best-known as “The Most Interesting Man in the World” for Dos Equis until his replacement by Constellation Brands; and Isaiah Mustafa, an Old Spice pitch man.
David Droga, Founder and Creative Chairman of Droga5, was presented the 2019 Clio Lifetime Achievement Award.
Jim Lesser, President/CEO of BBDO San Francisco, was the presenter of the Clio Brand Icon Award for Barbie. T
The evening’s main event was perhaps the naming of those getting the Grand Clio.
This year, the Grand Clio Award winners are:
- Branded Entertainment: Blue Heart, Farm League for Patagonia
- Design: Insta Novels, Mother New York for The New York Public Library
- Digital/Mobile: The Whopper Detour, FCB New York for Burger King
- Direct: The Whopper Detour, FCB New York for Burger King
- Experiential/Events: Lessons for Good, Publicis Italy for Leroy Merlin
- Fashion & Beauty: Breast Cancer Awareness – Idris Elba by Stella McCartney
- Film: The Truth Is Worth It Campaign, Droga5 New York for The New York Times
- Innovation: Changing The Game, McCann New York for Microsoft
- Integrated Campaign: Viva La Vulva, AMVBBDO for Essity Libresse/Bodyform
- Out Of Home: Air Max Graffiti Stores, AKQA for Nike
- Partnerships & Collaborations: Read More. Listen More., Droga5 New York for The New York Times
- Public Relations: A world without borders, Ogilvy & Mather Mexico for Aeromexico
- Social Media: Philly Philly, Wieden+Kennedy New York for Bud Light
The 2019 Grand Clio Music Award winners are:
- Use of Music: Share Your Gifts, Kobalt Music Group for Apple
- Music Marketing: The Uncensored Playlist, DDB Group Germany for Reporters Without Borders
FROM THE RBR+TVBR ARCHIVES: