Advertising and marketing are all about moving products and services, but the ideal is to build a relationship between provider and consumer that is measured in terms of decades rather than single transactions. RTC Relationship marketing has surveyed companies in a number of categories to determine which brands are doing the best job of this. "This study clearly demonstrates how brand experience can be leveraged as a major differentiator, even among leading brands," said RTCRM CEO Barry Kessel. "While marketers spend billions on brand awareness and acquiring new customers, it’s equally important and highly profitable to keep customers happy and committed by delivering a positive experience. It just makes good business sense," said Kessel. Financial services giant ING and automaker Honda were awarded the top slots under this criterion. The top three in a selection of industries are:
* Airlines: Southwest, JetBlue and Continental
* Auto: Honda, Toyota and General Motors
* Banking: ING, Wachovia and Wells Fargo
* Internet: Verizon, Google and AT&T
* Hotel: Radisson, Hyatt and Westin
* Specialty Retail: Home Depot, Bath & Body Works and Best Buy
* TV Programming: Sesame Street, Wonderful World of Disney and Oprah
* Mobile: Verizon Wireless, AT&T and Motorola
* Honorable mentions not ranked due to low base sizes included: Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Volkswagen, Apple iPhone, Virgin Atlantic Airlines and Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts.
The survey was based on Young & Rubicam’s BrandAsset Valuator(TM) and was conducted over the internet by Penn, Schoen and Berland Associates.