The agenda is out for the FCC’s next Open Meeting, on the calendar for 4/21/10, and the six items therein are of little direct concern to broadcasters. A couple of them touch on aspects of the MVPD world.
From the FCC, here’s what the Commissioners will be looking at:
* USF Reform NPRM and NOI: A Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that proposes common-sense reforms to the existing high-cost support mechanisms to identify funds that can be refocused toward broadband, and a Notice of Inquiry that seeks comment on the use of a model to determine efficient and targeted support levels for broadband deployment in high-cost areas.
* Mobile Roaming Order and FNPRM: An Order implementing rules to ensure the availability of reasonable automatic roaming arrangements for voice service and a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking comment on roaming arrangements for mobile broadband services.
* Network Gateway NOI: A Notice of Inquiry seeking comment on best approaches to assure the commercial availability of smart video devices and other equipment used to access the services of multi-channel video programming distributors.
* CableCARD NPRM: A Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that proposes changes to the CableCARD rules for set-top boxes used with cable services, to improve the operation of that framework pending the development of a successor framework.
* Survivability NOI: A Notice of Inquiry seeking comment on the present state of survivability in broadband networks and potential measures to reduce vulnerability to network failures.
* Cybersecurity Certification NOI: A Notice of Inquiry seeking comment on whether the Commission should establish a voluntary program under which participating communications service providers would be certified by the FCC or a third party for adherence to cybersecurity objectives and/or practices.