Carat on strike: "Are TV fans tuning in or dropping out?"


To gain a better understanding of consumers’ media habits and attitudes as a result of the strike, Carat fielded an online survey of 1,000 primetime TV viewers. The findings shed light on the fact that fans are not deserting TV, but people are shifting their viewing patterns. 72% of respondents report that they are watching the same amount of primetime TV than before the strike, while 25% of people are watching less and 3% are watching more. 

The survey also discovered that in addition to their typical television viewing, consumers are changing what they watch during primetime. For example, they are willing to watch different genres, watch repeat episodes and channel surf to hunt for different programs. Additionally, they are open to expanding their use of other entertainment options such as online, DVDs, magazines and video games.
For those who “would not” or “may not” continue to watch their favorite shows in repeats, the top choice was to go online (54%), followed by channel surfing until they found something else interesting to watch (51%).

16% said they would continue to watch favorite TV shows in repeats for the next 3-6 months.  Among those viewers, 21% said they would never lose interest.

Among those who said they would not (24%) or may not (60%) continue to watch their favorite shows in repeats (total of 84%).54% said they would go online instead. 51% said they would channel surf until they found something else interesting to watch instead. 42% would watch rented DVDs or buy DVDs.
38% would watch DVDs they currently own. 32% said they would watch other primetime shows they are familiar with. 30% would read magazines. 20% would play video games.

Of the 54% of viewers who said they would go online instead, 6% said they would go to TV networks’ websites to watch shows or parts of TV shows (webisodes/episode players, etc.) that they would or would not normally watch. 81% said they would browse the Internet for topics of interest.