An AM-FM combo licensed to Kinston NC is now in the hands of Eastern Airwaves Inc., headed by Donald W. Curtis. According to brokerage firm Kalil and Co., the sale by an executor of the Estate of Levi E. Willis Sr. has closed.
The stations are WELS AM-FM. The price was $225K cash.
The stations are in a local cluster with four Curtis FMs that are part of the Greenville-New Bern-Jacksonville NC; they also have overlap with non-market Curtis stations in Goldsboro NC area.
* WELS-AM, a Class D on 1010 kHz with 1 kW-D, 78 W-N, ND
* WELS-FM, a Class A on 102.9 MHz with 3 kW @ 295′
Curtis’s holdings in the Greenville market include:
* WNBU-FM Oriental NC, a Class C3 on 94.1 MHz with 11 kW @ 486’, serving New Bern and Morehead City
* WRHT-FM Morehead City NC, a Class C1 on 96.3 MHz with 100 kW @ 492’, also serving the New Bern area as well as its city of license
* WRHD-FM Farmville NC, a Class A on 94.3 MHz with 3.9 kW @ 407’, serving the Greenville area.
* WTIB-FM Williamston NC, a Class C1 on 103.7 MHz with 100 kW @ 987’, serving Greenville and points north and lacking any contour overlap with the two incoming Kinston stations.
On the Goldsboro side:
* WEQR-FM Walnut Grove NC, a Class A on 97.7 MHz with 3.65 kW @ 501’.
* WFMC-AM Goldsboro, a Class D on 730 kHz with 1 kW-D, 97 W-N, ND
* WGBR-AM Goldsboro, a Class B on 1150 kHz with 5 kW-D, 800 W-N, DA2
* WYMY-FM Goldsboro, a Class C0 on 96.9 MHz with 100 kW @ 984’ and a coverage area that reaches as far as Greenville.