Wendy’s, via Kaplan Thaler Group, is giving its cheeseburgers a complete “taste-lift” by reinventing it – beef patty, bun and toppings — and aptly naming it Dave’s Hot ‘N Juicy Cheeseburger. The campaign includes two national waves of creative: a pre-launch “teaser” effort using the memorable “Where’s the Beef?” phrase and images, running 9/25 through 10/2; and a “Here’s the Beef!”-themed effort that rolls out 10/2. The launch is being supported by a national integrated marketing campaign using TV, radio, print, out of home, web banners and various social and digital media.
Wendy’s spokesperson Amy Robinson tells RBR-TVBR a few of the TV networks/shows that are running the national spot include: ESPN, ABC Family, BET, MTV, TBS, WGN, CBS Daytime, Lifetime and Bravo. Regarding radio, it is only running in local markets, “so we cannot provide a list of stations at this time.”
The effort features images and clips from the 1984 Wendy’s iconic “Where’s the Beef?” commercials. Even the packaging has received an overhaul, as every Dave’s Hot ‘N Juicy Cheeseburger is wrapped in wax paper and placed in a customized half-box designed to enhance the eating experience by protecting the cheeseburger.
More components of the campaign:
• An electronic billboard in New York’s Times Square that will cycle through a four-screen “Where’s the Beef?”/”Here’s the Beef!” treatment.
• “Little Wendy” TV commercials, marking the national debut of Wendy Thomas as she pays tribute to her father, Dave Thomas, by introducing this fresh, new take on the classic Wendy’s cheeseburger.
• “T-Shirt” TV commercials, in which a young man wearing a vintage “Where’s the Beef?” T-shirt doesn’t understand why people call out the phrase until he sees a “Here’s the Beef!” sign at a Wendy’s store.
• Digital banner ads, including “Build,” which opens with “Here’s the Beef!” and an image of the cheeseburger that builds vertically and reveals pictures and details about each ingredient. This and the other banner ads include an option to download a coupon for a free Dave’s Hot ‘N Juicy Cheeseburger.
• A new Facebook Application (facebook.com/wendys) featuring several hamburger-themed games and at the end of the APP, visitors can answer a question about Wendy’s beef and register to receive one of 50,000 free T-shirts.
• A 26-city mobile “Tour of America” to distribute more than 37,000 free Hot ‘N Juicy cheeseburgers to Americans. For a schedule of events, visit http://apps.facebook.com/tourofamerica/.