It’s not like the Journal Broadcast Group hasn’t been heavily into election coverage before, but the company is making a detailed commitment this year with its “2008 Red, White and Blue Election Initiative.” This campaign commits each of the company’s television news operations and News/Talk radio stations to significant election coverage in the 30 days leading up to the November 4th general election.
“Our stations are always committed to providing comprehensive, high-quality news coverage of important local stories. This year we renew our initiative to provide viewers and listeners in each of our markets with the best we have to offer in election coverage,” said Doug Kiel, President, Journal Communications Inc. and Vice Chairman and CEO, Journal Broadcast Group.
The Journal Broadcast Group’s initiative includes:
• A minimum of five minutes of news coverage daily, Monday through Friday, in the 30 days prior to the general election. This coverage will be broadcast in the afternoon and late evening newscasts on television and in high listener time periods on radio.
• The coverage will be focused on candidates running for office in federal, state and significant local elections.
• Coverage will consist of interviews, profiles and viewers’ questions.
• Debates will be offered where appropriate.
• Stations will run public service announcements encouraging viewers to get out and vote.
Stations participating the Journal Broadcast Group’s “2008 Red, White and Blue Election Initiative” are:
KIVI-TV and KSAW-LP, Boise and Twin Falls, ID
WFTX-TV, Fort Myers/Naples, FL
WGBA-TV, Green Bay, WI
WSYM-TV, Lansing, MI
KTNV-TV, Las Vegas, NV
WTMJ-TV, Milwaukee, WI
WTMJ-AM, Milwaukee, WI
KMTV, Omaha, NE
KMIR-TV, Palm Springs, CA
KTTS-AM, KSGF-AM/FM, Springfield, MO
KGUN-TV, Tucson, AZ
KQTH-FM, Tucson, AZ
KFAQ-AM, Tulsa, OK
KFDI-AM and KFTI-FM, Wichita, KS