As expected, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) wasted no time putting the nominations to the FCC of Jessica Rosenworcel and Ajit Pai up for a vote, and also as expected, there was little opposition to the nominations. In fact, there was no opposition.
The nominees now need only be sworn in after being advanced by unanimous consent.
The Washington PR channels were immediately choked with congratulatory messages:
* FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski: I want to congratulate Ajit Pai and Jessica Rosenworcel on their Senate confirmation and welcome them to the Commission. They bring deep knowledge of our sector, and proven track records of accomplishment. President Obama made an outstanding choice in their nominations, and I look forward to working with them.
* FCC Commissioner Robert McDowell: I extend my heartfelt congratulations to Jessica Rosenworcel and Ajit Pai on their confirmations as commissioners of the Federal Communications Commission by the United States Senate. Their experience and credentials will be an asset to the Commission…Having worked with Jessica and Ajit here at the Commission, I know that they are very talented and knowledgable public servants who will be able to hit the ground running. I look forward to working with them on some of the most interesting and important public policy matters facing America.
* FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn: I applaud the United States Senate for confirming President Obama’s most recent nominees to the FCC, and I wish to join my colleagues in congratulating Jessica and Ajit on their confirmation. I am anxious to begin working with them both, and am relieved that after long last, this Commission will once again be operating at full strength.
* NAB President and CEO Gordon Smith: NAB congratulates Jessica Rosenworcel and Ajit Pai on their confirmations as FCC Commissioners. They are well-respected public servants who bring years of expertise and a unique perspective to the FCC. We look forward to working with them and engaging in an open and constructive dialogue on the issues affecting broadcasting.
* Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller (D-WV): I am elated that the Senate has confirmed two qualified and intelligent FCC Commissioners and that the FCC will resume full operations,” said Chairman Rockefeller. “Jessica Rosenworcel has spent nearly fifteen years working on communications issues, and I believe there is no better-qualified person for this position. Her understanding of complex communications policy is unparalleled and will be a major asset to the Commission. She will bring her meticulous and professional mindset that we have enjoyed here at the Commerce Committee to the FCC as an effective and sharp Commissioner. I am going to miss her terribly on the Commerce Committee.
* ACA President and CEO Matthew M. Polka: ACA salutes Jessica Rosenworcel and Ajit Pai on receiving Senate confirmation today to serve on the Federal Communications Commission, and ACA and its members look forward to working with these highly talented and dedicated public servants on the key issues handled by the agency. I am confident that both will continue the FCC’s long heritage of fact-based decision-making that promotes competition, stimulates private investment and innovation, and protects consumers and the public interest values we all cherish as Americans.
* CEA President and CEO Gary Shapiro: We applaud the Senate on the approvals of Jessica Rosenworcel and Ajit Pai to serve as FCC Commissioners. Ms. Rosenworcel and Mr. Pai each have a deep understanding of technology policy and will be excellent FCC commissioners. We look forward to working with both of these distinguished individuals to restore our nation’s economy by advancing sound communications policies that promote technological innovation.