The FCC will visit Stanford CA Friday 5/21/10 to look at the rapidly evolving media environment as the second decade of this new millennium unfolds. Two panels featuring guests from a wide range of entities will participate.
The first panel is entitled “Changing Distribution Channels,” and the second is entitled “The Changing Financial and Business Model for Media in the 21st Century.” FCC Media Bureau Chief William Lakeand Palo Alto CA Mayor Patrick Burt will be on hand to introduce the session. Rep. Anna Eshoo (D-CA) has been invited to speak then.
Here is the complete schedule and witness list for the event:
10:00 AM: Introduction and Opening Remarks
* William Lake, Chief, Media Bureau, Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
* The Honorable Patrick Burt, Mayor, Palo Alto, California
10:15 AM: Panel 1: Changing Distribution Channels
* William Freedman, Associate Bureau Chief, Media Bureau, FCC (Moderator)
* Eddy W. Hartenstein, Publisher and CEO, Los Angeles Times
* Jon Heller, Co-Founder and Co-CEO, FreeWheel Media, Inc.
* Ravi Kapur, Vice President, KAXT-CA – Channel One, San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose
* Sam Matheny, General Manager, News Over Wireless, CBC New Media Group, LLC
* Travis Parsons, Senior Director, Business Development, Sezmi
* Brad Pelo, CEO, i.TV
* Tim Westergren, Founder & Chief Strategy Officer, Pandora Media
11:45 AM: Public Comments
1:00 PM: Break
2:00 PM: Panel 2: The Changing Financial and Business Model for Media in the 21st Century
* William Lake, Bureau Chief, Media Bureau, FCC (Moderator)
* James Daves, Venture Partner, City of Light Capital, and Executive Director, ThinkSocial, The Paley Center for Media
* Dr. Larry Darby, Senior Fellow, American Consumer Institute for Citizen Research
* Brian Greif, President and General Manager, KRON-TV, and Vice President of News, Young Broadcasting, Inc.
* James Hamilton, Professor, Sanford School of Public Policy, Duke University
* Jim Joyce, President, National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians, and Vice President, Communications Workers of America
* Alan Mutter, Publisher, Reflections of a Newsosaur
* Tiffiniy Ying Cheng, Co-Founder, Participatory Culture Foundation
3:30 PM: Public Comments
5:00 PM: Adjournment