Rochester, NY – WHEC-TV, a Hubbard Broadcasting station, and the NBC affiliate located in Rochester, New York has an exciting opportunity to work in a news department as a Meteorologist/Multimedia Journalist.
Essential Job Duties:
• Produces and presents news and weather reports for all platforms.
• Ensures that all news and weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers news and weather stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Writes web stories detailing the local forecast as needed.
• Ability to analyze meteorological data to produce a forecast and production of weather graphics to support the forecast
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
• Research and schedule news stories, gather information, write stories, interview subject and reports on-air.
• Assist in the production of news broadcasts, web and social media. Develop and maintain local news contacts.
• Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
• Shoot and edit non-linear for broadcast
• Enterprise stories in line with our brand on a daily basis.
• Interacts with viewers and users on social media sites.
• Maintain appropriate and strict standards regarding wardrobe, hair, cosmetics and grooming as directed by management.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Bachelor’s degree in Meteorology, Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
• Prior experience as a broadcast journalist and/or meteorologist
• Excellent news and weather judgment with an expansive knowledge of local and national current events, history, newsmakers and issues.
• Abilities in critical thinking, quick and effective decision making and live ad-libbing
• Ability to work well under pressure while meeting daily assigned deadlines.
• Strong writing, shooting and non-linear editing a must
• An AMS seal or the CBM from the American Meteorological Society is preferred
• Professional, consistent on-air appearance
• Must be flexible to work any assigned shift including nights, weekends, holidays and extended hours.
• Must have a valid driver`s license and a safe driving history as determined by the Company. Driving record will be checked.
• Please include a link of your demo reel or online portfolio along with your resume and cover letter.
Must be able to stand for long periods of time, lifting up to 50 lbs. (camera equipment), and have good verbal, visual and manual skills. Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job. The Company will make reasonable physical accommodations to facilitate the ability to perform the essential job functions.
Rochester, New York
No Telephone Calls Please
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER