Broadcast infrastructure specialist Radio Frequency Systems (RFS) has launched a new portfolio of equipment to allow broadcasters to build the NEXTGEN TV networks necessary to deliver customizable over-the-air services to compete with OTT offerings.
The global designer and manufacturer of cable, RF systems, antenna and tower systems provides total-package options for wireless and broadcast infrastructure.
The just-released product line gives broadcasters the opportunity to move to the Single Frequency Network (SFN) set up needed to support NEXTGEN TV.
This allows broadcasters to deliver a wider variety of media to both fixed and mobile devices, providing a customizable over-the-air TV offering.
Broadband antennas that offer high front-back radiation patterns are among the new offerings.
“The development team has focused on designing lightweight, low wind load equipment that is easy to install on existing towers to support new SFN set-ups,” RFS says.
Further, it notes that its NEXTGEN TV products are designed for longevity, and can be used to add additional capacity in the coming years.
“Despite the hype, 5G broadcast for the U.S. market is not feasible while 5G technology is in its infancy,” says RFS Global Product Manager for Broadcast Nick Wymant. “The size of the population, geography and market set up in the U.S. make the Next Generation TV standard an absolutely essential step in the evolution of over-the-air broadcast.”
The portfolio in detail
- NG Series: Broadband antennas for multi-channel Next Generation networks. The high-power rating and broadband performance allow multiple channels to be transmitted from an SFN site, reducing capital costs and providing consistent coverage across channels
- NG-RBL & NG-SBL Series Antennas: Antennas with reduced back radiation for difficult site locations network planning scenarios. These offer an easy way to meet FCC requirements without resorting to large reductions in radiated power
- CS Series: These Starpoint combiners offer an economical and compact solution for combining non-adjacent channels at multi-channel SFN sites, while minimizing site infrastructure costs
- CA Series: Constant impedance balanced combiners offer a high-performance solution for combining both adjacent and nonadjacent channels at multi-channel SFN sites
- HCA Series: HELIFLEX® Air-Dielectric Coaxial Cable is fully broadband and ideally suited to the requirements of multi-channel SFN sites. Additionally, the HELIFLEX connectors offer quick installation, excellent gas tightness and extremely low losses
- Alongside an extensive range of US manufactured products to suit any deployment, RFS offers advanced RF simulation and modelling to ensure optimum network performance