People continue to spend more time on social networking and blog sites than ever before, with total minutes increasing 82% year-over-year and the average time per person increasing 67% year-over-year in May, says Nielsen. Twitter.com was the fastest-growing Web brand in May 2009, increasing 1448% year-over-year, from 1.2 million unique visitors in May 2008 to 18.2 million in 2009. More from the report:
– Despite being the fastest-growing brand year-over-year, Twitter’s month-over-month growth has begun to slow, increasing 7% from April
– The average time per person on Twitter increased 175% year-over-year, from 6 minutes and 19 seconds in May 2008 to 17 minutes and 21 seconds in May 2009. However, month-over-month growth was flat, decreasing one% from April 2009
– With 144.3 million unique visitors, Facebook was the No. 1 global social networking destination in May 2009—the 7th month in a row that Facebook has ranked No. 1
– May 2009 also marked the 5th month in a row that Facebook has been the No. 1 social networking site in the U.S., garnering 75.4 million unique visitors—a 190% increase over May 2008
– Myspace.com continued as the top social networking site when ranked by total video streams in May, with 116.1 million video streams
– Unique viewers of video content at Myspace.com increased 22.9% month-over-month, from 9.9 million in April 2009 to 12.2 million in May 2009.