Nielsen reported in its June 2014 RADAR Radio Network Ratings that more than 181 million Americans age 12+, or 68% of the national population, heard a network radio commercial during an average week.
The RADAR June 2014 survey period demonstrates network radio’s power in reaching a mass audience across all ages. Commercials aired on the 46 measured radio networks reached:
• 68.0% of persons aged 12+ (181.3 million listeners)
• 70.9% of persons aged 18-49 (95.5 million listeners)
• 71.7% of persons aged 25-54 (89.9 million listeners)
The RADAR June 2014 survey period also demonstrates network radio’s extensive reach in the Top 25 DMAs:
• 70.2% of persons aged 12+ (94.4 million listeners)
• 73.6% of persons aged 18-49 (50.9 million listeners)
• 74.2% of persons aged 25-54 (48.4 million listeners)
Key insights from the report:
• The national audience that heard a network radio commercial during an average week remains very consistent: 181.3 million Americans aged 12+. That’s nearly 70% (68.0) of all Americans aged 12+ who heard a network radio commercial during an average week.
• In the top 25 DMAs, network radio reached more than 94 million listeners, more than 70% of the 12+ population in those markets
• Over 70% of Americans aged 25-54 listened to network radio each week.
Nielsen’s RADAR June 2014 Report measures 46 individual radio networks. These networks are operated by AdLarge Media, American Urban Radio Networks, Crystal Media Networks, Premiere Networks, United Stations Radio Networks and WestwoodOne.
The sample size for the RADAR June 2014 Report is 396,094 persons aged 12+. This sample is designed to provide stability for key demographic estimates, dayparts, and Market-by-Market Analysis reports, which report all individual DMAs.
The RADAR June 2014 Report includes data from all 48 Nielsen PPM markets. The survey period for RADAR 121 covers 3/28/13 to 3/26/14.
Nielsen RADAR reports estimated audiences to network commercials broadcast by affiliates of the subscribing networks. RADAR audience estimates do not account for listening to all network radio programming.