NBCOLYMPICS.COM AND NBC OLYMPICS MOBILE. NBC OLYMPICS MOBILE: 62 MILLION PAGE VIEWS: NBC’s Olympics Mobile platforms (Mobile Web Site and iTunes App), through 12 days have amassed 62.4 million page views nearly doubling the total number of page views for the entire 17-day Beijing Games (34.7 million).
* There have been 1.5 million mobile video streams in 12 days, more five times the total number for the entire 17-day Beijing Games (301k).
* By the time the Opening Ceremony broadcast started at 7:30 p.m. on Feb 12, NBC’s Olympics Mobile had already generated more page views than the entire 2006 Winter Games (1.07 million).
NBCOLYMPICS.COM HAS MORE USERS THAN ENTIRE 2006 WINTER GAMES: Through 12 days, NBCOlympics.com has delivered 34.9 million total unique users, more than 20 million more unique users and 162 percent higher than the entire 17 days of the 2006 Winter Games (13.3 million).
* NBCOlympics.com’s 493 million page views through 12 days surpasses the total for the 17 days of the 2006 Winter Games (331 million) by 49 percent.
* NBCOlympics.com has delivered 31 million video streams to date – more than 25 million more and 453% higher than Torino’s first 10 days (5.6 million).
NOTE: All data for NBCOlympics.com and NBC Olympics Mobile is provided by Omniture.
TOP SPORTS ON NBCOLYMPICS.COM ON TUESDAY 2/22 (by page views) 1. Figure Skating, 12.7 million 2. Alpine Skiing, 2.1 million 3. Hockey, 2.0 million 4. Speed Skating, 1.4 million 5. Curling, 907k
TOP 5 RESEARCH LEARNINGS – SO FAR – FROM VANCOUVER GAMES:
“The Billion Dollar Lab” initiative involved the participation of a number of research suppliers and the source line following each of the learnings indicates how the data was obtained.
1. THE OLYMPICS IS A HUGE CULTURAL EVENT
* 46% of Olympic viewers changed their typical routine to watch the Olympics.
* 63% stayed up longer than usual to watch, resulting in 42% being “more tired than normal.”
* 35% of viewers cried or became teary-eyed while watching (25% among men)
(Source: Research Results)
2. BIG EVENT TV PROGRAMMING BIIGER NOW – MORE THAN EVER
* More than half of all Americans have watched the Vancouver Olympics on the networks of NBC (174 million).
* That’s 24% more viewers than watched the entire 2009 season of American Idol (140 million for 39 separate telecasts).
3. THE OLYMPICS ARE A POSITIVE FAMILY VIEWING EXPERIENCE
* 77% of parents say they use the Olympics to teach their kids values.
* 76% agree “Olympics give me an opportunity to spend quality time together with my family.” (Source: Insight Express 2/14/10)
4. THERE IS TREMENDOUS GROWTH IN YOUNGER VIEWERS
* Gains from youth categories far exceed growth in older demos.
* Viewing among P18-24 is up 46% and viewing among older teens
(15-17) is up 34% (compared to viewing for Torino Games).
5. PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR A SHARED CULTURAL EXPERIENCE IN A
FRACTIONALIZED MEDIA WORLD
* There aren’t many experiences that let people share an event in such great numbers. We see that in our social networking numbers and the overall amount of viewing.
* 63% of Olympics viewers say, “My friends and I enjoy talking about these Olympics.” (source: Knowledge Networks)
(source: information provided by NBC)