More items on the radio business: Westwood One News is up and running, Cumulus goes to bat for the citizens of San Francisco under emergency conditions, BMI resigns an important account, and Fox and Beasley celebrate the holidays.
* Michael Roscano became the first to anchor a broadcast on Westwood One News at 12:00AM 12/15/14 – with the able assistance of CNN. It is currently offering one-the-spot coverage of the breaking Cuba story.
* Cumulus Newser KGO 810 in San Francisco was able to deploy no less than 10 reporters when recent violent storms hit the city. Coverage 12/11/14 was provided from 5AM, and it was up-to-the-minute and on-location. Let’s see Pandora do that!
* BMI has retained one of the plum artists in its catalogue, renewing the rights to the library of pop music icon Michael Jackson. Jackson has been on the BMI roster since 1976.
* A two-hour Christmas special starring Fox News Channel’s Todd Starnes will air Christmas Eve and twice on Christmas Day. Fox News Radio affiliates will air it, along with American Family Radio and Bott Radio Network affiliates. It will also be available on Fox digital platforms.
* “Christmas Across the Lands” is making its 15th holiday appearance, created and hosted by Beasley Broadcasting’s Randy Sherwyn. The 12-hour program goes global to military personnel in 177 nations via American Forces Network-Radio.