We knew that the influential House Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet would be holding a hearing entitled “The National Broadband Plan: Deploying Quality Broadband Services to the Last Mile” on Wednesday 4/21/10. Now we know who Chairman Rick Boucher (D-VA) has invited to testify and take questions.
From the subcommittee, here is the invited guest list:
* Sharon Gillett, Chief, Wireline Competition Bureau, Federal Communications Commission
* David Villano, Assistant Administrator, Telecommunications Program, Rural Development, Department of Agriculture
* Joe Garcia, Regional Vice President, National Congress of American Indians, Lifetime Council Member of Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo
* Austin Carroll, General Manager, Hopkinsville Electric System
* Mark Dankberg, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, ViaSat, Inc.
* S. Derek Turner, Research Director, Free Press
* Jeffrey A. Eisenach, Managing Director and Principal, Empiris, LLC
RBR-TVBR observation: We would have liked to see MSTV exec David Donovan on the witness list. He has suggested that licensed use of the oft-targeted television “white spaces” might be extremely useful in finishing the broadband job in rural areas.