Up against big competition during the 8 o’clock hour from NBC’s special The Voice, CBS’ top-rated comedies (The Big Bang Theory/Two and a Half Men) and Fox’s premiere of The X Factor Results Show, ABC freshman Last Resort returned after its preemption the prior week with gains of 8% in Adults 18-49 and 25% in Adults 18-34 from two weeks ago. The new show also spiked 25% with Men 18-34 over its last telecast to equal its best number since early October – since 10/11/12. One of the biggest percentage gainers via DVR playback for any 8pm show this season, ABC’s Last Resort adds on 2.3 million viewers and shoots up by an impressive 56% (+1.0 rating) in Adults 18-49 from the next-day L+SD numbers to the final L+7 numbers. The ABC freshman drama continued to deliver double-digit year-over-year growth in its time period. In fact on average Last Resort is boosting its hour for ABC by 29% in Total Viewers and by 47% in Adults 18-49 over the same point last season with original drama programming.
More than doubling its lead-in among Adults 18-49 (+129%) at 9pm, ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy won its hour and registered as Thursday’s #1 drama for its 5th straight telecast this season. Leading the 9 o’clock hour by double-digit percentages among Adults 18-49, Grey’s beat out CBS’ Person of Interest by 10%, Fox’s Glee by 33% and NBC’s The Voice-fueled comedies (The Office/Parks and Recreation) by 45%. Jumping in DVR Playback this season, Grey’s builds by 3.5 million viewers and by 1.7 Adult 18-49 rating points from its next-day numbers to its L+7 finals. Grey’s grew over its most recent airing two weeks ago by 5% in Total Viewers and by 7% in Adults 18-49. Season to date Grey’s Anatomy is up over the same point last year in both viewers (+6%) and young adults (+2%).
ABC’s Scandal once again posted a close 2nd-place finish to CBS’ Elementary in the 10 o’clock hour with Adults 18-49 (pacing within 2-tenths of a rating point), while running way ahead of NBC’s Rock Center with Brian Williams in Total Viewers (+39%) and Adults 18-49 (+82%). Additionally, Scandal continued to beat out Elementary to stand as the #1 scripted TV show in its slot in Adults 18-34 and across all key Women (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54). Posting large increases from DVR playback, on average this season the ABC 10 o’clock drama surges by 2.4 million viewers and by 40% in Adults 18-49 over its first-reported L+SD numbers to its Live + 7 Day results. Scandal tied its 2nd-strongest Adult 18-49 rating this season. In addition, the show matched a season high with Women 18-49, equaling the series’ 2nd-highest number ever.
FOX Ratings: THE X FACTOR STEADY IN DEMO, SEES BIG LIFT AMONG TEENS WITH ONE DIRECTION
With THE X FACTOR results show and an original GLEE, FOX ranked #2 last night among Adults 18-49 and won the night in Adults 18-34 and Teens. In fact, FOX out-rated the #2 networks last night by +32% in Adults 18-34 (2.5 vs. 1.9 for CBS) and +38% in Teens (2.2 vs. 1.6 for CBS).
· THE X FACTOR Results (featuring performance by One Direction): 2.3/6, flat with last week in Adults 18-49 (2.3/6), while up +38% in Teens (2.2/8 vs. 1.6/6) and +2% in Total Viewers (6.3 vs. 6.2 Mil).
o THE X FACTOR outperformed The Voice in head to head competition in the 8pm hour by +5% in Adults 18-34 (2.3 vs. 2.2) and +57% in Teens (2.2 vs. 1.4). In Female Teens, THE X FACTOR more than doubled The Voice’s average last night (+106% — 3.3 vs. 1.6).
· GLEE: 2.4/6, down -8% from five weeks ago in Adults 18-49 (2.6/7 on 10/04/12), but up +4% in its core Adults 18-34 audience (2.6/8 vs. 2.5/8).
o GLEE won the 9pm hour in Adults 18-34 and Teens
o GLEE was the highest rated program of the night in Female Teens (3.6/13) and was the #2 program of the night in Adults 18-34 and Teens.
· Last Resort: 1.4/4, up +8% from two weeks ago
· Grey’s Anatomy: 3.2/8, up +7% from two weeks ago
· Scandal: 2.0/5, flat with two weeks ago
· The Big Bang Theory: 5.0/15, down -4% from last week
· Two & A Half Men: 4.0/11, up +11% from last week
· Person of Interest: 2.9/7, flat with last week
· Elementary: 2.2/6, down -8% from last week and ties its lowest rating to date
NBC (Due to a local NFL pre-emption in Indianapolis Fast Nationals for NBC may be inflated).
· The Voice: Playoffs #3 (S): 3.0/9, down -35% from last Tuesday’s telecast (4.6/12) and is tied as its lowest-rated telecast ever
o The Voice was also down -21% from its Wednesday installment (3.8/10)
o Last night was The Voice’s lowest-rated results show ever
· The Office: 2.5/7, up +32% from two weeks ago
· Parks & Recreation: 1.8/5, up +6% from two weeks ago
· Rock Center With Brian Williams: 1.1/3, down -15% from last week