ABC News anchor Charles Gibson announced in September that he would retire by the end of this year. Now the date of his final newscast has been set: December 18th.
Jon Banner, executive producer of “World News with Charles Gibson,” posted the word on the ABC News blog Tuesday:
“We’ve known this day was coming; Charlie first told us of his desire to retire in early September. As he said then, it’s the right time for him and his amazing family.
So today I wanted to let you know that Charlie’s last day as anchor of World News will be December 18.
We’re going to spend a good deal of time during his final week on the air looking back at the stories Charlie covered, hearing again from some of the remarkable people he interviewed, and paying tribute to our friend and colleague, and the enormous contribution he has made to ABC News over the last three decades.”
As previously announced, Diane Sawyer will take over the anchor chair, effective in January 2010. There was no immediate word on who will fill in for the final two weeks of 2009.