The FCC has finalized its plans for its 4/7/11 public meeting. The commissioners will be looking at things like utility polls, right of way and roaming – all things that have no pertinence to a broadcast signal. Broadcasters have little to learn from this one.
The Thursday session is set to kick off at 10:30 AM.
From the FCC, here’s what you’ll be missing if you decide to make other plans.
* TITLE: Implementation of Section 224 of the Act (WC Docket No. 07-245); A National Broadband Plan for Our Future (GN Docket No. 09-51)
SUMMARY: The Commission will consider an Order that reforms the Commission’s access, rates, and enforcement rules for utility pole attachments, reducing barriers to deployment and availability of broadband and other wireline and wireless services, and promoting competition.
* TITLE: Acceleration of Broadband Deployment: Expanding the Reach and Reducing the Cost of Broadband Deployment by Improving Policies Regarding Government Rights of Way and Wireless Facilities Siting
SUMMARY: The Commission will consider a Notice of Inquiry seeking comment on key challenges and best practices in expanding the reach and reducing the cost of broadband deployment, including by improving policies for access to government rights of way and wireless facility siting requirements.
* TITLE: Reexamination of Roaming Obligations of Commercial Mobile Radio Service Providers and Other Providers of Mobile Data Services (WT Docket No. 05-265)
SUMMARY: The Commission will consider a Second Report and Order that adopts a rule requiring facilities-based providers of commercial mobile data services to offer data roaming arrangements to other such providers on commercially reasonable terms and conditions, subject to certain limitations.
* TITLE: Reliability and Continuity of Communications Networks, Including Broadband Technologies; Effects on Broadband Communications Networks of Damage or Failure of Network Equipment or Severe Overload (PS Docket No. 10-92); Independent Panel Reviewing the Impact of Hurricane Katrina on Communications Networks (EB Docket No. 06-119)
SUMMARY: The Commission will consider a Notice of Inquiry seeking comment on existing reliability standards for communications networks, including broadband networks, and ways to further strengthen the reliability and continuity of communications networks to avoid disruptions of service during major emergencies, such as large-scale natural and manmade disasters.
* TITLE: Amending Parts 1, 2, 22, 24, 27, 90 and 95 of the Commission’s Rules to Improve Wireless Coverage Through the Use of Signal Boosters
SUMMARY: The Commission will consider a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that will help to fill gaps in wireless coverage and expand broadband in rural and difficult-to serve areas, while protecting wireless networks from harm.
* TITLE: Structure and Practices of the Video Relay Service Program (CG Docket No. 10-51)
SUMMARY: The Commission will consider a Report and Order that will adopt rules to detect and prevent fraud and abuse in the provision of video relay service (“VRS”). Also, a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Proposes to require all VRS providers to obtain certification from the FCC under new, tighter certification procedures in order to receive compensation from the TRS Fund.