The National Association of Broadcasters Leadership Foundation (NABLF) has unveiled the finalists for the 2022 Celebration of Service to America Awards, which recognize local broadcasters’ outstanding service to their communities.
Category winners will be announced live at the awards ceremony, which will return as an in-person event on June 7.
Finalists, celebrity guests, senior broadcast executives, members of Congress and policymakers will gather at The Anthem in Washington, D.C. on that Tuesday for the in-person, black-tie Celebration of Service to America Awards ceremony.
A special one-hour production of the awards ceremony will once again be broadcast nationally on television and radio stations across the country in summer 2022.
The Celebration of Service to America Awards, presented by Bonneville International and Hearst Television, honors the impact and excellence in community service and philanthropy by local radio and television stations across the country.
The event also recognizes an individual for their exceptional commitment to improving the lives of others through the Service to America Leadership Award.
A Corporate Leadership Award will be given to a non-broadcast business for its extraordinary focus on community service and corporate responsibility.
“As valued members of their local communities, television and radio stations offer critical support to those in need, shine a light on the issues affecting their friends and neighbors and help get us through difficult times,” said NAB Leadership Foundation President Michelle Duke. “We look forward to coming together once again to honor these outstanding stations for embodying the spirit of broadcasting, and to celebrate broadcasters everywhere who serve their communities every day.”
Following is the list of honorees by category in alphabetical order:
Service to Community Award for Radio, Broadcast Ownership Group
- Beasley Media Group, 2021 Beasley Best Community of Caring Initiative
Service to Community Award for Television, Broadcast Ownership Group
- Cox Media Group, CMG Gets Real
- Hearst Television, Project CommUNITY: History & Hope
- Sinclair Broadcast Group, Sinclair Cares: Supporting All Veterans
Service to Community Award for Radio, Large/Major Market
- WSB-AM, Atlanta, Cox Media Group, 95.5 WSB Care-a-Thon
- WTLC-FM, Indianapolis, Urban One, Feeding Families for 365 Days Plus
- WTOP-FM, Washington, D.C., Hubbard Broadcasting, WTOP D.C. DFS InvestigationService to Community Award for Television – Large/Major Market
- KYW-TV, Philadelphia, CBS Television Stations, CBS3 Small Wins! Grant Program
- WFAA, Dallas, TEGNA, WFAA Adoption Awareness
- WLKY-TV, Louisville, Ky., Hearst Television Stations, WLKY MAP Grants
Service to Community Award for Radio – Medium Market
- KRMG-FM, Cox Media Group, Tulsa, Big Spring Clean
- WHKO-FM, Cox Media Group, Dayton, K99.1 FM Cares for Kids Radiothon
- WJBR-FM, Beasley Media Group, Wilmington, Del., Mix 99.5 WJBR Help Our Kids Radiothon
Service to Community Award for Television – Medium Market
- WIS-TV, Gray Television, Columbia, S.C., Families Helping Families
- WMTV-TV, Gray Television, Madison, Wisc., WMTV Diaper Drive Success
- WTOC-TV, Gray Television in partnership with CBS Television Stations, Savannah, Ga., WTOC Tells Smart Women’s StoriesService to Community Award for Radio – Small Market
- KTXY-FM, Zimmer Radio of Mid-Missouri, Columbia, Mo., Miracle for Kids Radiothon
- WNRP-AM, WYCT, WNRP and WEBY Radio, Pensacola, Fla., Next Level Covid ChartsService to Community Award for Television – Small Market
- KWQC-TV, Gray Television, Davenport, Iowa, TV6 Real Conversations
- KOBI-TV, California Oregon Broadcasting, Medford, Ore., In this Together
- WBNG-TV, Gray Television, Binghamton, N.Y., Southern Tier Tuesdays