For road warriors traveling Interstate 95 from the Northeast to Florida, the North Carolina City of Roanoke Rapids has become a welcome city for an overnight stay.
Here, and further east toward Murfreesboro, a six-station collection of radio properties has been owned by First Media Radio.
Now, the radio stations are heading to a new owner.
In a deal reached June 25, First Media is agreeing to part ways with the following stations:
- Class D daytimer WWDR-AM 1080 in Murfreesboro, with 1 tower and 930 watts
- Class A WDLZ-FM 98.3 in Murfreesboro
- Class C WSMY-AM 1400 in Weldon, an adjacent municipality to Roanoke Rapids
- Class A WTRG-FM 97.9 in Gaston, N.C., serving Roanoke Rapids
- Class A WYTT-FM 99.5 in Emporia, Va., just north of Roanoke Rapids
- Class A WWDW-FM 107.7 in Alberta, Va., to the far northwest of Roanoke Rapids
Also included in the transaction are construction permits for FM radio translators W246DQ, in Weldon (rebroadcasting WSMY), and W290DE, in Murfreesboro (rebroadcasting WWDR).
The buyer is the John Byrne-led Byrne Acquisition Group, which will operate the sextet via an LMA ahead of closing. Byrne is based in Columbia, S.C.
The $3.4 million deal gives Byrne added firepower across the Carolinas, as it is already the licensee of stations serving Clemson, Myrtle Beach, and Hilton Head, South Carolina. It is also the licensee of a TV station — Ion Life affiliate WIFS-DT 57 in Janesville, Wisc., serving Madison.
A $170,000 escrow deposit is being held with Brooks Pierce McLendon Humphrey & Leonard.
Serving as the broker in this transaction is George Reed of Media Services Group, representing the seller.