There’s a lot going on in radio these days, including a new podcast from CBS Radio, subscriber info from SiriusXM, a pair of program launches at Westwood One, format shuffling at Salem and a new morning show service from Envision.
* CBS Radio and CBS Local Digital Media have launched Play.it – a podcast service that offers more than 300 premium options, and that’s just the at-launch total. Spoken word content covers news, lifestyle, sports, media brands and more and includes material from top CBS talent.
* SiriusXM says it beat its own expectations for 2014, adding 250K more subs than it predicted and increasing self-paying subs by 190K. It gained 1.75 new subs in all, ending the year with 27.3M.
* Two shows kicked off at Westwood One. One is “Something to Think About with Mike Rogers” featuring the former Michigan Republican fresh off seven terms in the US House of Representatives; and the other is “ProFootballTalk Live with Mike Florio,” an NBC Sports Radio offering coming just in time for NFL playoff action.
* Salem has added seven O&Os to the roster of its new “The Answer” News-Talk format, bringing the total to 20 nationwide. Stations in San Diego, Seattle, Colorado Springs, Atlanta, Tampa, Louisville and Sarasota are now on the list.
* Envision Networks has a new service and its first customer – The Rooster delivers both audio and internet content to ease the load of overworked morning talent. Already up and running with it: Mississippi Broadcasters’ WZKS-FM in Meridian MS.